POSITION: Early Childhood Educator
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Early Childhood Educator to join our team of dedicated staff one day a week (Mondays 8-4pm) and also on casual relief basis as needed. St Kilda Steiner Kindergarten is a long-established Community Kindergarten which has been delivering an authentic Steiner Early Childhood Educational Program to children 3-5 years old, for over 20 years. You would work with experienced educators in an above ratio environment, with strong community involvement. Our Kindergarten is located at 435a Inkerman Street, East St Kilda in the tranquil gardens behind the St James the Great church.
- To work in collaboration with the team of staff to provide a play-based, age appropriate early childhood program based on Rudolf Steiner’s insights of the young child.
- A calm, courteous manner and ability to communicate appropriately with children, parents and colleagues.
- Assist in maintaining the rhythm of the day including preparation of meals, activities, morning circle, story, free play, caring for the room and outdoor space.
- Confidence to use song and gesture to support children in transitions.
- Willingness to take on incidental tasks such as craft, food ordering e.g. alongside other staff members.
- Attendance at staff meetings, festivals and a commitment to ongoing self and professional development.
Prospective Applicants require:
- Current Victorian WWCC, Police Clearance, Child Protection and First Aid Certificates
- Minimum Cert 3 or ideally a Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Experience working in a Steiner Early Childhood Setting preferred
We are a sessional Kindergarten which runs in line with the Victorian school term dates. A teacher and two educators work together in caring for a group of 22 mixed-age (3 - 5yo) children. The teacher and the educators, as part of their daily activities prepare and deliver the organic food curriculum and take care of the room and the garden. Ideal applicants would be expected to show proficiency in working within the principles of Steiner/Waldorf Early Years Education.